I have a strange addiction to BBC America's program "How Clean is Your House?". The state that these people get their homes into is amazing, but what is even better is how the hosts clean the grime away! It is all "cheap and cheerful"!
Some of their cleaning tips are:
Tips For A Cleaner Home
- IN THE KITCHEN: 1. Tear off a sheet of aluminum foil big enough to fit your grill. Lay it shiny-side down and turn the grill on for 10-15 minutes. When you take the foil off, the greasy mess will be gone. 2. Cloudy drinking glasses will be sparkling clean again if you soak them in warm white vinegar for about an hour. Then rub gently with a dishcloth to remove the film. 3. If your chopping board smells, wipe with water and then rub in dry mustard. Leave it for a few minutes, then rinse and dry.
- IN THE BATHROOM: 1. Get rid of toilet bowl blockages and odors by pouring in one cup of baking soda once a week. 2. Clean your showerhead by filling a plastic sandwich bag with vinegar, and tying it to the head. Leave overnight and in the morning, scrub with a brush. 3. Remove watermarks and white rings by massaging mayonnaise into them and leave in overnight.
- IN THE LIVING ROOM: 1. Slight scratches on furniture can be removed by rubbing them with a freshly cut Brazil nut or walnut. 2. Use a chunk of white bread to remove finger marks from wallpapers. 3. Use peanut butter to remove chewing gum from carpet.
- DEALING WITH CREATURES: 1. Repel mice with peppermint, baking soda, talc or mothballs. 2. Repel moths with bay leaves, cloves or black pepper. 3. Repel silverfish with lemon juice or cinnamon.
- GENERAL HELPFUL HINTS: 1. Remove crayon from walls with WD-40. 2. The tannic acid in tea makes it ideal for cleaning wooden floors. 3. Lemon juice works wonders on rust and fruit-based stains on clothes.
Some other tips you might find useful:
*Make your own all purpose scrub by mixing Baking Soda, Salt and Lemon Juice into a paste. Works wonders on toilets, counter tops and tubs!
*In a spray bottle mix 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water. Spray onto the window or mirror and wipe with a crumpled up newspaper. Works WONDERS!!!!
*Getting buildup on your dishes after you take them out of the dishwasher? Try adding 1/2 cup vinegar to a load of dishes. This will also keep grime from attaching to your silicone bottle nipples, pacifiers or spoons.
*Use steam to clean your floors and sanitize counters and other germy areas.
*Keep a washcloth in your shower and while your conditioner is soaking in, run the washcloth over the tiles to keep the soap scum from building up.
What are your favorite cleaning tips?